In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Hong Kong Heritage Museum, the Hong Kong Poster Triennial 2010 will honour the theme of 'Act-Live', which refers to how we should act upon our past, present and future after a decade.
The event is jointly presented by the Leisure & Cultural Services Department and the Hong Kong Designers Association, and organised by the Hong Kong Heritage Museum.
The Hong Kong Heritage Museum (HKHM) is a museum complex featuring a variety of specially designed exhibition possibilities, covering different aspects of history, art, design and culture. As design is one of the major collections, HKHM is dedicated to promote design through collecting, researching and programming. Hong Kong International Poster Triennial is a major event of the HKHM to document the development of international poster design and to celebrate achievements at regular intervals and display excellent works of design.
Aims of the event
- To establish Hong Kong as a world city in the arena of collecting and promoting poster design;
- To assemble a distinct international poster collection;
- To foster graphic design education and culture exchange with other countries and regions.
The 2010 edition is organised in three consecutive events: Competition, Exhibition, Seminar
The open competition will be organised under categories of 'Ideology', 'Promotion of Cultural Events', 'Commercial and advertising', 'Thematic' and a newly created category 'Young Generation'. To facilitate the selection process, five prominent international designers have been invited to form a judging panel.
Deadline and delivery
Posters should be delivered by courier / in person during office hours (Monday - Friday 9:00-17:00) to the following address together with the completed entry form and CD-ROM:
'Act-Live - Hong Kong International Poster Triennial 2010'
Hong Kong Heritage Museum
1 Man Lam Road, Sha Tin, N.T., Hong Kong
The organizer declines all responsibility for loss or damage of posters in transit. All entries must be delivered on or before 17:00, 29 January 2010, entries with incomplete information or late submission will not be accepted.
The competition is open to designers and young design talents from all
regions and countries.
Entries will be categorised into five categories:
- Ideology - creations concerning universal themes, the conditions and existence of man, civilization problems, social and political action
- Promotion of cultural events - promoting culture, art, theatre, music, education and sport ventures
- Commercial and advertising - promoting commodities and business
- Thematic "Act" is a special category purposely echoes with the 10th anniversary of HKHM. 'Act' is an attitude which enables one to rediscover oneself and hence the outer world by breaking the boundaries with new inspiration, in order to achieve personal and social harmony.
- Young Generation – This year's theme is "Live". Young Generation is a new category specially set for young design talents who were born in the year 1980 or after. It is expected that the young talents seize the day by integrating life with creativity and making it more splendid.
Comprising of five international renowned designers, the members of the judging panel are:
- Dr. Kan Tai-keung - Hong Kong
- Mr. Kenya Hara - Japan
- Mr. Mathias Augustyniak - France
- Mr. Michel de Boer - The Netherlands
- Mr. David Tartakover - Israel
The judging criteria will be based on originality, creativity and technical competence. If there are too many entries for the "Live" thematic category, a local selection panel will be formed for the first round selection, before handing over to the final judging panel.
Selected entrants will be notified by mail in late May 2010 and the list will be uploaded on the website of the Hong Kong Heritage Museum.
Those who are unsuccessful will not be notified.
The following awards will be selected:
* Gold, Silver and Bronze Award will be selected for Categories (a) to (d).
* Judges Award: Named after the respective judges, five judges will each select one entry from Categories (a) to (d).
* Young Generation Award: Each judge will select one entry from Category (e).
For complete entry details download the Call for Entries (PDF - 3.9MB)
'Act-Live - Hong Kong International Poster Triennial 2010' exhibition will be presented in the HKHM to exhibit all selected entries from December 2010 to May 2011. A fully illustrated catalogue will be published to document the event.
An array of posters designed by the five international judges will also be shown in the exhibition to showcase their creativities and achievements in poster design. This will be a valuable experience for the Hong Kong public and great encouragement to the selected entrants to be able to exhibit side by side with the international judges.
To enhance academic discussion and ideas exchange on poster design, a seminar will be organized at the HKHM after the judging period in mid April. The five world renowned judges will be invited as speakers. All participants, design students and interested parties are welcome to attend and exchange views and insight about design.
For information and the entry form, please visit the Hong Kong Heritage Museum website: hk.heritage.museum
For enquiries, please contact:
The Hong Kong Heritage Museum, Leisure & Cultural Services Department
T: +852 2180 8118, 2180 8117
F: +852 2180 8222, 2180 8111
E: email@example.com (subject 'Act ? Live - Hong Kong International Poster Triennial 2010')
Hong Kong Designers Association